These are the words I hear from my three year old when he needs to look for something – usually it is related to Thomas, Sesame Street or Wonder Pets and he needs GiGi, Nana, Ho Ho (Santa) or “that bunny” (the Easter Bunny) to buy it for him. It started last Christmas with him telling me “Mommy I need to online on your waptop (laptop) to look at some Thomas the trains.” Did I mention that he is three??
According to a recent Pew Research report , he is like many Americans who are now accessing the Internet on their laptop and mobile devices. The study found that 6 in 10 Americans are going online wirelessly with their laptop or cell phone. It is amazing how quickly kids today are learning the role of technology in our lives and how it can make everything accessible – from learning about Big Bird’s Birthday to the words to Dinosaur Train’s theme song.
For those of you who have kids here are Carter’s top five sites to visit online:
- www.seasamestreet.org – He is a big fan of the videos and playlists
- www.pbskids.org/curiousgeorge – The present time game is a favorite
- www.pbskids.org/dinosaurtrain – If you ever needed to know the names of dinosaurs that start with each letter of the alphabet you can find it here!
- www.thomasandfriends.com – Just all around fun!
- www.bobthebuilder.com – Another site with great videos!
You can find the full report on Mobile Access 2010 at www.pewinternet.org.